text resize

0808 808 1000

Talk to a nurse

Author Topic: L4/5/S1 herniated discs and potential tumour  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Chuckles

L4/5/S1 herniated discs and potential tumour
« on: September 02, 2017, 09:31:00 pm »
Hello, unsure why I'm writing this as unsure what I achieve from it really. 2012 had a horse riding accident and beginning 2013 had micro disectomy L4/5 due to severe nerve compression, there was also a bulge L5/S1 but my neurosurgeon didn't want to do that disc too for it becoming too weak given my active lifestyle. Roll on to 2016, still a lot of ongoing lower back issues and then had my coccyx out. Then have since had numerous steroid injections which were all good until may this year. When my back just didn't want to play any more and I had excruciating nerve pain in my left leg. Had no continuity of care from GPs where one of them just wanted to medicate me up and the other not medicate me any more than what I'm already on and they weren't prepared to do an MRI. Ended up in me going to a&e for pain relief as it was just unbearable. They sent a request to my gps for an MRI. I left it a couple of months and heard nothing. (I also had an ongoing complaint with the doctors due to how they have handled the care of me). However, I left it several months and had hesrd nothing ref a date, I rang 3-4 times and nothing showing on the system. I managed to speak to the secretary and nothing had been processed but she managed to do it immediately. Roll on MRI results and L4/5/S1 are very bad again and will need surgery but on top of that there is a soft tissue growth which could be a tumour too. I have told my hubby about it but no one else and I have an appt with surgeon this Thursday for hopefully a treatment plan. But last Tuesday my back finally came to say it couldn't go on no more with lots of muscular spasms and pain and my gp said they didn't know what to do so increased my morphine patch and told me to bed rest until my surgeon appt to the severity of my scan results. I just feel like I've been given no support as I've gone from being fairly active (as can be) to being what feels like housebound and no idea on where to turn to for support and guidance as I can't stand/sit/walk for long at all.  I've no idea how to get around, how long I'm intended to roughly be off work (who are being extremely good about it).
Sorry to of wrote an essay I'm just unsure who to turn too as don't know anyone who's been in same situation at all. Thanks for reading ❤️

Offline web_editor

• Administrator
Re: L4/5/S1 herniated discs and potential tumour
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 12:08:55 pm »
Dear Forum user Chuckles,

Thanks for using this space and I'm sorry to hear about your herniated discs and potential tumour.

I'm the website editor and forum moderator here at Brain & Spine Foundation. I'm afraid this forum isn't very active so I'm sorry that no one with a similar experience has written here yet.

I'm sorry to hear also that you feel are not being well supported. Would you perhaps be interested in discussing this with our Helpline? You can call 0808 808 1000 or send an email to helpline@brainandspine.org.uk.

They would be able to give you support and further information.

In the meantime I will see if our social media followers can come here and share their experience with you.

Best wishes,
Aaron
BSF's Digital Communications Officer

anything