Call our Helpline: 0808 808 1000

How to treat coronavirus at home

If you are experiencing symptoms and are self-isolating, this information will support you to manage your symptoms while you recover.

How do I manage my symptoms at home?

There is no cure or vaccine yet for this new coronavirus (COVID-19), and any treatment given aims to relieve the symptoms until you recover.

If you are experiencing symptoms you must follow the advice about self-isolation and stay at home. Anyone living with you must also follow this advice.

You should rest and drink plenty of water to stay well hydrated.

You can take paracetamol to help reduce a high temperature or relieve pain.

If your illness is worsening or your symptoms haven't improved after seven days, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. If it's not an emergency, contact NHS 111 online.

If you have no internet access, call 111.

If there is an emergency and you need an ambulance, call 999 and make sure to tell the call handler that you think you have coronavirus.

You can find more information about how to treat coronavirus at home via the links below:

Do I need to contact my GP or hospital if I am showing symptoms?

Most people who become infected with coronavirus recover quickly, so it is not always necessary to contact your GP or hospital if you are showing symptoms.

You can use the NHS 111 online service if your condition is getting worse, or if you don’t think you can cope with your symptoms at home. This service will ask you a number of questions and, based on your answers, will decide whether you need to call 111 to speak to someone.

If you don’t have internet access then you should call 111 straight away.

If you are considered 'extremely vulnerable' then you are at a higher risk of more serious illness from infection, so you should call 111 to speak to a nurse. You should not go to your GP or hospital unless advised to do so, as this could increase the risk of infecting other people.

What do I tell my employer?

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, or you live with someone who does, then you can get an “isolation note” for your employer to prove you need to stay off work.

You do not need to get an isolation note from your GP. Visit


Last updated: 06/04/2020